29.6.06

New Bodies Of Work?

roqueted

Not only is the light really nice at the moment, but I've started a new series of images based on some discoveries,one of which was at a local croquet lawn.

Chairs and shopping trollies are the two things that seem to most turn up in the oddest of places.

The kind of places I've always enjoyed 'hanging around' seem rife with them.

My sets are growing. This is something that I've been contemplating in terms of my output as an artist,can I justify producing work that is a culmination of an experience [walking around with a camera], rather than having some idea in my head and making images about it, the idea?

Is the idea of exploring an external world in an inner way justification enough? After all, Marcel Proust said,

The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.

So seeing and make images of my own local area with new eyes, or in a way that is interesting is this enough?

While we're on quotes, here's another again by Proust, that speaks volumes,

Art is a selective re-creation of reality according to an artist's metaphysical value-judgments. An artist recreates those aspects of reality which represent his fundamental view of man's nature.

The site where the quotes are from? BrainyQuote.com, a great site indeed

No comments: